Friday, October 12, 2018

Design Philosophy


As a young girl, my favorite thing to do was to look at buildings. Old or new, pink or blue, it didn't really matter. When I was in third grade, my mom started working with an architect. I admired him more than anyone in the world because through my eyes, he was changing the world (or at least someone's world) for the better one floor plan at a time.  He had the capability to create buildings that contributed beauty and curiosity onto a street that was once bland and vacant. The year my mother worked with that architect was the year I figured out what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. At times she probably regrets introducing me to this field so early because I can't tell you the number of times I neglected homework to draw houses instead. Over the years books filled one by one full of floor plans and sketches.
Photo of two of my drafting books from middle school.
Taken by Alexis Armitage.


Car rides became my favorite past time. I would peek out the window and begin to imagine how I could transform houses that were broken down and abandoned. "Maybe a fresh paint job will do the trick, some new windows possibly? Stone sure would make a statement." From house to house ideas would fill my mind, and then eventually fill a sketch book. One man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

My design philosophy is encrypted with the passion I have for architecture, helping others, and my love for the Earth. As a designer, I will create successful environments for clients and the end users with design principles and elements, functionality, detail, and delight. The created built environment will respect the natural environment through sustainable practices, and reflect it as well. Innovative details in the design will represent the client throughout the space, captivating them and the end users.

Four aids in a successful environment.
sketch by me.

The Falling Water house by Frank Lloyd Wright is innovation at it's finest. 

3 comments:

  1. It's awesome that you were able to find your passion at such a young age in life and have been developing your ideas ever since. I like the mention of car rides becoming your favorite pass time-- instead of negatively judging the houses, you look at them as opportunities! I think a lot more people need to have the mentality of trying to enhance/fix something that is already there rather than calling it a mistake and starting an entire new project. It's nice to know that you share my love for the Earth and want to use sustainable practices as well. The more designers that realize the importance of the relationship between people and nature, the better our future will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story of how you decided to become a designer! You are very lucky that you were exposed to design and architecture at such a young age. I strongly agree that sustainability is very important in today's society, especially with all the pollution and global warming. I think it is great that you love the earth and want to put into place more sustainable practices. I can't wait to see how you change the world one design at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is filled with passion. That is amazing that you found such a love for Interior Architecture at such a young age. You were able to look at the old and find new ways to make them look ebautiful again. I also have a love for the Earth and I am glad more people are using sustainable materials in their building. I can't wait to see how you put your talents to use!

    ReplyDelete

Prospect-Refuge

Every January for the past two years I've had the opportunity to travel to Big Sky, Montana to snowboard at Big Sky Resort with my boyfr...